Wednesday, September 25, 2013

DIVISION w UNIT FRACTIONS~ Multi-Step Word Problems Around the USA theme

This....
          set....
                 of....
                       task...
                              cards...
                                     is

                                                            ~ FINALLY FINISHED!!!~
Sorry, had to take some breaths there. I had no idea what I was getting into with this brain child. I wanted to make some task cards to connect unit fractions with division (to help students go ahead and make that leap in their understanding and make connections more easily once we get to our fractions unit); simpler cards like those are probably on the way eventually because I know we will need the practice, but I also wanted to take my student work on task cards to a higher level this go round. Hence, I decided to make one paged task cards like my Multi-step Word Problems School Supply Themed Task Cards. Needless to say, I have put in the HOURS on this product, but I am loving it!

Although the inspiration for this set of word problems was division, you will see many common core concepts embedded in the questions. Because I want my students to have to think on their toes and continue using previously learned concepts in meaningful ways. For this set of "Around the USA" task cards I used data for the land area of different states and regions and the length of coastlines. Students will end up adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing while having to use their mastery of different number forms to interpret the numbers they are working with (word form, base-10 expanded form, expanded form, etc).

Here's a sample task card:
These cards will not be the kind of task cards that students can ~zip~ZIP~zip~ through (like mine are used to with other task cards we have worked on this year). I think these will be a good change of pace and I would expect that the average student only completes one of the ten task cards in a 20 minute station rotations. I plan to launch these in a whole group lesson (using one of the cards as a model), then to set aside at least one day for students to get a good grasp on working through the task cards. Next, the cards will move into one of my math stations and small groups for students who need extra assistance.

Here's the nifty Student Recording Booklet and the Teacher Answer Key:
Rather than kicking back and relaxing, I am off to put together my free Student/Parent Led Conferences freebie for you guys and work on some social studies ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...